|These artifacts were kindly
donated by Helen Fogle of Old Washington, Ohio, whose children
had collected them from at and near the surface of
low-lying terrain near the hilltop site. They date from
the Early Archaic to the Middle Woodland Period, roughly
10,000 to 1500 years BP.
Mrs. Fogle and her brother
John Laughman, whose grandparents owned the site in the early
twentieth century, have been instrumental in discrediting state ("Ohio History
Connection") archaeologists' adamant but
clearly unfounded assertion that the rather obvious prehistoric
earthwork at the site must somehow be the result of recent
strip mining or quarrying.